Traditional “In Real Life” Tactics
Learning the Online Visibility Game: How It’s Done
- SEO – Being findable through internet search: Search Engine Optimization or SEO. Consumers today overwhelmingly use Google, Yahoo or Bing to do their initial product research and shopping. Search engines are used by customers today the way the yellow pages were used 20 years ago. If you’re easily found by your best potential customers through internet search, then you’ll have a definite marketing advantage.
- PPC – Driving clicks to your site through paid advertising: called Paid Per Click or PPC advertising. Google AdWords is the most popular and most mentioned form of PPC advertising, but there are many PPC advertising providers. You’re essentially paying to have your ads shown to internet users who show interest in topics that are related to your products or services.
- Social exposure: social media, blogs, and online discussion forums are the major ways that your relationship with a group of persons or an area of interest can result in exposure for your website and your products and services.
- Publicity: … or someone else voluntarily writing about your business. Press releases, news articles, and widely followed bloggers who take an interest in your product or business are aspects of publicity.
There’s some overlap of these categories. For example, publicity, and certain kinds of social media exposure create huge SEO value. Your own blogging is initially a purely SEO focused effort until you pick up enough readers that you see an audience building. You can run PPC advertising campaigns on social media that look like non sponsored content but which actually deliver qualified customers to you.
Three Important Facts about Online Marketing to Keep in Mind
- Every method requires specialized knowledge in order to be effective and to not cause damage. There are actually instances in which you can lose thousands of dollars in direct advertising costs, or damage the reputation of your website with search engines, by not following “best practices”.
- You will either have to learn how to employ these techniques yourself, or hire out the work to someone who does know.
- None of these techniques (or rather, the fruits of these techniques) happen by themselves or are normally included in the lowest cost website projects.